Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Hazy, lazy summer days.....

Ah, the joys of summer in Canada - the days that we dream of all winter long - well, at least I do. Being able to roll out of bed and step right outside and feel the sun warming my face.....ah, heaven!!

It's also the time that classes tend to slow down as everyone else is also engaged in outdoor summer activities - golfing, gardening, camping, cottaging, walking and just generally being outside and soaking up as much sunshine and fresh air as we can. The slow down in classes opens up a window of 'free time' to devote to samples and trying out new patterns for the fall and winter classes. So while I do enjoy my outside time I do have to devote a certain amount of time to inside sewing.....a part of teaching quilting that many people don't realize. I'm not complaining just stating a fact.

This is the same with show promoters, magazines, stores - anybody who works in any of the industries that deal with seasons. In the magazines they work about 6 months ahead - so while we are basking in the sun they are thinking of Christmas.....I personally am busy getting basic samples and prep work done for the The Creative Festival in October - www.csnf.com - and have been thinking about the fall show since the spring one ended. I also have some long term work in the preparation stages - or idea stages for the spring 2007 show. Sometimes it's hard to think that far ahead - to know what students will want to see and do. On the other hand it does give you enough lead time to re-think a design or process in case it doesn't go the way you think it will. And believe me that happens more than I'd like sometimes - although with practice it happens less often.

No comments: