Monday, January 18, 2010

I thought that I had only left this blog a few months ago but see that I last posted on Aug of 2007. Where has the time gone.....
You may have noticed that the blogs leading up to the last one were busy, in fact, overwhelming... and that's what happened. I took on too much and burned myself out. But I think that I am finally back again. Older and maybe a bit wiser........
Since Aug, 2007, I thought to sit down and write many times but I never seemed to have anything to say once I sat down. The same thing happened when I sat at the sewing machine to quilt.... nothing.....so I took up a past creative outlet. I went back to knitting. Wow!! Has that world ever changed in the time that I was away.....the fibres, colours, pattern choices and so much more....I haven't knit anything earth shattering or breath taking but I have knit myself back to creativity and wholeness......
I did it mostly by knitting for others. I began by knitting socks for myself, then my husband. Soon I was making them for DD and SIL - do you know much yarn it takes to make size 15 socks?? Then I ran across a charity group on Yahoo called C4C - Caring 4 Canadians. I found my charity to knit for. This is a very non-profit group - they collect no money - buy the yarn, etc from their own pockets - pay their own postage - and that's the way they want to keep it. Because it's not about the money raised, or the books to be kept or the organization to be run, but about one person helping another in need.
What do they do? They knit preemie items for Brantford General Hospital, McMaster University Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital. Work with the KW Our Place and Pregnancy Centre as well as teen pregnancy centres in Quebec. We have liasons who work with the Canadian military to make hats, soap savers, cool ties and other items...... The list goes on and on. Why did I chose this as my charity? Because I wanted to do something that I knew would affect someone personally. I wanted what I did to matter to someone and that's how I feel as I knit a preemie hat, a baby blanket or a hat for one of our soldiers serving overseas......and this knitting helped bring me back to creativity......
It's been a bit of a journey but one that had to be made, to learn about balance in our lives, appreciating life's small joys and finding out what is really important in life. Take the time to live life, it sounds trite but it isn't.......

No comments: